What is Apple News?
Apple News is an iOS app news aggregator developed by Apple. Users can read articles, created by publishers, about a variety of topics.
How to set up Apple News to publish content
1. Set up a channel for Apple News. Follow this documentation
The channel requires 3 example articles to be created before submission. These can either be created through the iCloud account or through the Wordpress plugin.
If submitting articles through the Wordpress plugin (Publish to Apple News), you will need the following:
- Channel name (exact match),
- Channel ID,
- API key and
- App secret
Creating articles in Publish to Apple News plugin
1. Download / enable the Wordpress Plugin (Publish to Apple News)
2. Add Channel name, Channel ID, API Key and App secret to Apple News settings in Express. It is easier to add the following example code manually ie. Enter the contents of your .papi file manually.
Configure other settings here as required
channel_id: <Your Channel ID>
key: <Your API Key ID>
secret: <Your API Key Secret>
(Note: You can find the above info in iCloud News Publisher > Settings > Connect CMS > API Key)
3. Select theme for articles or create custom theme
4. Create 3 articles in Express and publish to Apple News. This could be automatically publishing depending on your settings
5. Test the News url provided by opening the link on a supported iOS device
Submitting Apple News channel
Once three articles have been created and tested, you can submit your channel for review through the iCloud account.