We have the ability to trigger automated pushes from Distribution after processing a feed by hitting a push provider's API with a push notification payload. Currently, this functionality is supported for Airship and Firebase push messaging services.
There are three ways content can be configured to trigger a push notification:
- New edition: any time a new edition is processed via Distribution, a push notification is triggered.
- Updated edition: any time an edition is updated and processed through Distribution, a push notification is triggered.
- Highlight posts: any time a new post with a category of "highlight" is process through Distribution, a push notification is triggered.
AIRSHIP ONLY FEATURES
Airship supports sending a 'schedule' (NB: schedule is always in UTC) in the push notification payload, which means that automated push messages can be configured to send at a specific time. If a schedule is configured, a push message will always be scheduled for the next instance of that time, i.e. if the push message is triggered on Monday 9am and the schedule is set for 8am, the push message will be sent at Tuesday 8am.
If a schedule is not defined, all push messages will be sent to users immediately.
FIREBASE CLOUD MESSAGING
FCM does not currently support sending a 'schedule' time in the push payload. All automated push messages will be sent to user immediately.
- Only editions with at least one HTML post will trigger push notifications.
- Only HTML posts will trigger push notifications.
- Push notifications will not be triggered for draft editions or posts.
- We won't doubled-send for articles that are updated (with the highlight category)
- We will only send a push if we see the 'highlight' category when the post is first published. We won't send it if a post is later updated to have the category
- NB: If an updated comes from an article that is more than 30 days old, we will treat it as new and it will trigger another update. We aim to fix this soon.