Previously to view draft content we would upload an enterprise app build to a website called App Center and distribute it to whoever needed it. However due to changes in distribution rules around Apple Enterprise builds we are no longer able to do this. From Pugpig Bolt 3.9 onwards we will provide a way to switch your content feed, from live to preview, within the app.
Android builds are unaffected by this change but for parity we'll be adding the preview functionality to Bolt Android as well.
Pugpig bolt apps have a hidden menu within the settings page, accessible by tapping the version information ~10 times. This menu has several options, some for viewing draft content and app configurations, some for developer debugging.
- Admin code - This is a code that will be provided to you by your Customer Success Manager or Pugpig Support. It will turn on Preview mode, showing you any articles, timelines or editions that are set to draft in the CMS, and it will enable the ability to turn on Configuration mode.
- Configuration mode - Bolt apps normally fetch the Configuration that is set to active. Configuration mode tells the app to fetch the latest generated one. This is particularly useful for checking any app styling, configuration or copy changes that may be in progress.
- Log level - This changes what information is sent in app logs and should be left as the default unless we say otherwise.
- Clear Downloader Cache - This clears the app of any downloaded data.
- Force Crash - This forces the app to crash for test purposes.
Note that after entering an Admin code, or activating Configuration mode, you will need to force close and reopen the app in order to fetch the new content/config.
Going forwards to view preview content within your apps, you won't need an extra build, you'll just need an admin code. You should be provided one when you upgrade to Bolt 3.9 but if not, please reach out to us via email@example.com